Cross-posting from the main ICOMOS website
Following the earlier call for the Scientific Symposium Co-Chair, which has since been appointed, expressions of interest are now invited for four (4) further volunteer positions as International Theme/Stream Co-Chairs for the Scientific Symposium to be held between 5 and 9 October 2020 as part of the 20th Triennial General Assembly of ICOMOS (GA2020) in Sydney, Australia under the overall theme “Shared cultures – Shared heritage – Shared responsibility”.
The four (4) subject areas for which International Theme/Stream Co-chairs will be appointed are:
- SHARED CULTURES: Communities – collaborative, consultative, contested
- SHARED HERITAGE: Multiple attributes, multiple values, multiple actors
- INDIGENOUS HERITAGE: Sharing, exchange, secrecy
- MINORITY HERITAGES: Shared or shunned?
Within each theme/stream a range of sessions may be offered covering different issues, in a variety of formats, and of varying lengths. Some sessions will be traditional ‘conference-style’ presentations whereas others may be less formal workshops or facilitated discussions. The Theme/Stream Co-chairs will be responsible for designing a series of coherent and dynamic sessions, as well as incorporating commitments made to project partners, through a wide-ranging consultative process.
Expressions of interest are encouraged from energetic, experienced, and engaged ICOMOS members who have suitable personal attributes, skills, and experience, including: a mix of appropriate practice-based and academic credentials, good connections within the cultural heritage sector, experience in conducting similar events and processes, a combination of creative and critical skills, team leadership, and demonstrated commitment to inclusiveness, ethical conduct and the ICOMOS Ethical Principles, as well as the necessary time and energy.
The Role of each International Theme/Stream Co-chair – includes to:
- Work collaboratively with the International and Australian Co-chairs of the GA2020 Scientific Symposium (Ona Vileikis Tamayo [ICOMOS Belgium] and Steve Brown [ICOMOS Australia] respectively).
- Work collaboratively with the corresponding Theme/Stream Australian Co-chair to organise, develop, and implement symposium sessions.
- Work collaboratively with the corresponding Theme/Stream Australian Co-chair to recruit and constitute a working group of up to five members responsible for the review of proposals for sessions, papers, and posters;
- Recommend to the Australian and International Co-chairs on selection of sessions, papers, and posters; matters relating to timetabling; and development of symposium publications and documents.
- Develop a scholarly paper for Historic Environment in collaboration with the corresponding Theme/Stream Australian Co-chair (to be published by August 2020 in advance of the GA2020 Scientific Symposium).
- Advise on and contribute to publication processes and outputs following the GA202 Scientific Symposium.
The International Theme/Stream Co-Chairs will commence as soon as possible and will be expected to work consistently throughout the period from late 2019 into 2021. These positions are voluntary. Successful applicants are required to attend and register for GA2020, as well as cover personal travel and accommodation costs during GA2020. If eligible, financial support for attendance can be sought, for example through the ICOMOS General Assembly Travel Grants programme (but is not guaranteed).
Ona Vileikis [Email: ovileikis[at]icomosga2020.org]
Steve Brown [Email: steveb.heritage[at]gmail.com]
For more information about the GA2020 Scientific Symposium visit us at http://icomosga2020.org
Expressions of interest of no more than three (3) pages should:
- indicate the preferred Theme/Stream – from among the 4 listed above;
- state the reason why the applicant seeks appointment;
- indicate the relevant skills and experience of the applicant in relation to conference organisation and the selected Theme/Stream topic;
- indicate commitment to the available time and timeframe required;
- include a one-page summary CV; and
- be sent by 17:00pm Friday 7 June 2019 to the ICOMOS International Secretariat by email at secretariat[at]icomos.org
Depending on the applications received, online interviews may be held and/or additional information may be sought from shortlisted applicants.
Note that a parallel process is being undertaken through the ICOMOS Advisory Committee to recruit Australian Co-chairs for each of the Themes and Streams.